Collapse of Hard Rock Hotel leaves two people dead

Eloise Hanson By Eloise Hanson
14 October 2019 | Updated 14 October 2019

US: The partial collapse of a planned Hard Rock hotel, at the edge of the historic French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana, has killed two people.

The building was under construction at the corner of Rampart Street and Canal Street.

The collapse happened shortly after 9am on Saturday 12 October. Fire chief Tim McConnell said that only part of the building was considered stable, with a precarious 270ft crane complicating rescue efforts.

Brian Trascher, a spokesman for Citadel Builders, said that the company is working closely with the city to stabilise the building.

More than 110 construction workers were on the site when the incident occurred.

At least 30 people were taken to hospital for treatment, all of whom were considered stable. All but one of the injured have been discharged.

One man previously declared missing has been accounted for at a local hospital.

Mayor LaToya Cantrell issued a statement saying: "Our hearts break for the loss of life."

WWL-TV aired a viewer's video of the collapse. It showed the upper floors falling on top of each other before one side of the building toppled into the street.

10 surrounding buildings have been evacuated, with electricity and gas supplies turned off.

Authorities have urged people to stay away from the area.

Be in the know.

Subscribe to our newsletter »
Subscribe

Our Events

Thank you sponsors

Subscribe to our Newsletter »